This study evaluated the feasibility, complications and long-term outcomes of using a cannulated drill system combined with intraoperative imaging to place a transcondylar screw for the management of canine humeral intracondylar fissure. Thirteen dogs were enrolled, with one dog undergoing staged bilateral surgery. No intraoperative complications occurred. Five minor (36%) and three major (21%) postoperative complications occurred, giving an overall complication rate of 57%. None of the screws placed penetrated the articular surface. The mean duration of surgery was 28 min (SD ±3.5) for dogs that developed a major complication versus 46 min (SD ±18.1) for those that did not (p=0.015). The duration of preoperative lameness was significantly shorter for cases which suffered a major complication (2 days; SD ±2.8) than those that did not (34 days; SD ±31.7, p=0.008). None of the variables assessed were significantly associated with minor complications. Median time from surgery to last follow-up was 5.8 years (range 3.5–8.5 years). Median Liverpool Osteoarthritis in Dogs questionnaire score at the final point of follow-up was 16 (range 7–27). A significant number of patients were found to require analgesia at long-term follow-up.
- intracondylar fissure
- long-term outcome
Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.