Otitis media in five cats associated with soft palate abnormalities
- 1Department of Surgery, University of Nottingham and Dick White Referrals, London Road, Suffolk CB8 0UH, Six Mile Bottom, Cambridgeshire, UK
- 2Willows Veterinary Centre and Referral Service, Highlands Road, Shirley, Solihull, West Midlands B90 4NH, UK
- E-mail for Correspondence:
The medical records of five cats that were diagnosed with otitis media and soft palate abnormalities, three of which had concurrent otitis interna, were reviewed retrospectively. The animals presented with unilateral or bilateral otitis media or otitis interna associated with soft palate hypoplasia (four cases) or unilateral soft palate cleft (one case). Otitis media was confirmed by radiography, CT or MRI. The soft palate abnormalities present were discovered on oropharyngeal examination at induction of anaesthesia. These five cases provide additional support of a link between otitis media and soft palate abnormalities in cats, as reported in humans and dogs.
Provenance not commissioned; externally peer reviewed
- Accepted May 15, 2012.
- Published Online First 13 July 2012
- British Veterinary Association