Article Text

PDF
No chocolate for Fido
  1. Suzanne Jarvis

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Research published in Vet Record this week shows, perhaps unsurprisingly, that dogs are more likely to be taken to their vet having eaten chocolate at Christmas than at any other time of year.

The risks to dogs from eating chocolate are well known and include vomiting, tachycardia, restlessness, seizures, and, in extreme cases, coma and death.

It is also a common problem seen in veterinary practices, with 25 per cent of acute intoxication cases in dogs being because of chocolate. A BVA survey of their members found 74 per cent of vets replying had treated a case of chocolate poisoning over the festive season in 2016.

Many owners are aware of the risks, and often dogs get their mouths around these and other toxic foods accidentally. You may remember the ruckus in September …

View Full Text

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.