Article Text

PDF
Hazards
Battery ingestion in dogs
  1. Nicola Bates,
  2. Tiffany Blackett and
  3. Nick Edwards
  1. Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS), Mary Sheridan House, 13 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY, e-mail: nicola.bates@vpisglobal.com

Statistics from Altmetric.com

A RECENT BBC report highlighted an increase in cases of button battery ingestion and the risks to children (Walsh 2016). Button and disk batteries can cause chemical and electrical burns, which can result in serious tissue injury within a few hours, if they are inserted into the nose or ear or become lodged in the oesophagus. Batteries of many types are present in every household and are not necessarily perceived as potentially hazardous.

Dogs are also at risk from chewing or swallowing …

View Full Text

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.