Article Text

PDF
Toxicology
Fatal poisoning of a dog by the fungus Clitocybe rivulosa
  1. A. G. Irwin1 and
  2. A. R. Leech2
  1. 1Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery, Castle Meadow, Norwich NR1 3JU
  2. 23 Eccles Road, Holt, Norfolk NR25 6HJ
  1. e-mail: tonyleech3{at}gmail.com

Statistics from Altmetric.com

IN October 2006, one of the authors (A. G. Irwin) was contacted by a woman whose nine-year-old cocker spaniel had died after apparently consuming fungus fruiting bodies from the garden lawn. The owner had collected a sample of the dog's vomit, which clearly showed fragments of undigested fungus. Fungi collected from the lawn included fool's funnel (Clitocybe rivulosa), a species known to cause poisoning in humans. Examination of the ingested fragments under the microscope revealed distinctive spores that matched those of C rivulosa.

The time between ingestion and the onset of clinical signs is not known but within 45 minutes of the dog displaying salivation, vomiting and diarrhoea it had collapsed and died. It is reported that the dog was otherwise in good health and had never …

View Full Text

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.