Measurement of the thickness of the corium and subcutaneous tissue of the hind claws of dairy cattle by ultrasound
- S. R. van Amstel, DipMedVet, MMedVet, DipABVP, DipACVIM1,
- F. L. Palin, BA2 and
- J. K. Shearer, DVM, MS3
- 1 Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, University of Tennessee, PO Box 1071, Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
- 2 Department of Psychology, Georgia State University, University Plaza, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- 3 Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, PO Box 100136, Gainsville, Florida, USA
The thickness of the subsolar soft tissue layer (dermis and subcutaneous tissue) of the hind lateral and medial claws of 23 Holstein dairy cattle was measured by ultrasound imaging. The results showed that on average the subsolar soft tissue layer of the lateral hind claw was significantly thicker (4.29 mm) than that of the medial hind claw (3.92 mm).
- British Veterinary Association. All rights reserved.