Seventeen sheep died, and many others showed signs of hepatogenous photosensitivity after being exposed to Microcystis aeruginosa at Lake Mokoan, Victoria, Australia. Two groups of sheep were observed, and their hepatic recovery was monitored by means of serum biochemical tests during the subsequent six months. During the first three weeks, their serum gamma-glutamyl transferase activity and bilirubin concentration declined rapidly to normal levels, and the signs of hepatogenous photosensitivity disappeared. Serum bile acid concentrations were above normal for almost three months. Thirty-four per cent of the sheep died during the observation period, and the serum biochemical tests provided no clear indication of the cause of these delayed mortalities. This study suggests that sublethal exposure to microcystins may cause prolonged morbidity and delayed mortality.
- British Veterinary Association. All rights reserved.
Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.