Toxic silo gases are a potential danger to livestock housed in close proximity to silos. On the fourth day of ensiling, five fattening pigs were found dead in a pen adjoining a grass silo. Post mortem examination revealed extensive lung damage and methaemoglobinaemia. A dense reddish-brown gas was concentrated at floor level to a height of 1 m in the pen and had diffused into adjoining pens, where dry and suckling sows and litters were showing signs of respiratory distress and weakness. The gas was identified as a mixture of nitrogen dioxide and dinitrogen tetroxide. These gases may be produced in the early stages of silage making. In this case, they had accumulated in a slurry channel below the silo and leaked through an adjoining wall into the piggery. The production and toxicological effects of silo gases are discussed.
- British Veterinary Association. All rights reserved.
Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.