Article Text

Natamycin treatment of ringworm in cattle in the United Kingdom
  1. EP Oldenkamp

Abstract

A total of 258 cattle clinically affected with Trichophyton verrucosum (ringworm) were treated twice by spraying with a suspension containing the fungicidal antibiotic natamycin. One-hundred-and-forty-seven in-contact, but unaffected cattle were also similarly treated. Forty-one of the affected animals were examined mycologically and clinically as they were taken to be representative of the whole group. At eight weeks after the last treatment 93 per cent of the affected animals had completely recovered and the remaining 7 per cent had improved markedly; 70 per cent of the mycologically examined animals proved negative at the same time. No reinfection of the recovered animals or spread of the disease to the treated in-contact animals was seen up to six months after treatment.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

      Request permissions

      If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.